Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Stem Cell reserch?

     The other day I was amiably on YouTube watching documentaries about Purple Cows and the Minnesota Gophers many legendary Hockey teams.  I paused my endeavors to go grab a snack, I had encountered a difficulty choosing between a toast butter side down or toast butter side up.  In the end I ate both.  When I returned to my computer a miracle had occurred.  Maybe it was a message from god, or possibly the cat had walked across the keybord, I will never know.  Well anyhow my computer had somehow sent me to a sight talking about Embryonic Stem Cell Research.  Because I am an avid fan of all things scientific I decided to watch.
        The video was titled Embryonic Stem Cells Are Bad! In the video a narrator was trying to convince the viewers the Embryonic Stem Cell research is bad. He started by making a very strong appeal to emotions. He began by explaining the Science behind Embryonic Stem Cells. Scientist can take stem cells from an embryo and grow them into just about any kind of cell imaginable. They can then use them to try and cure many diseases, such as Parkinson‘s. The narrator begins by arguing that Stem Cell research is bad because it kills the embryo. That is a very valid point, minus one important factor, Science is not sure on weather or not to classify Embryos as alive. This problem can also effect the authors next claim that Stem Cell research is illegal because it violates the Nuremberg Code witch says that experimental scientific research requires the consent of all effected. Once again that depends on weather or not you consider an embryo alive. The narrator than goes on to explore the field that Stem Cells can cause cancer, he mentioned a study in which rats received cancer 20% of the time that they were injected with stem cells. That is a good point but it is still not a reason to halt stem cell research entirely. I think that we can agree that stem cells are potentially useful. SO THEN WHAT DOESE THE NARRATOR SUGGEST WE SHOULD DO INSTEAD!?!?!?! The answer is well reasoned AND LEAVES ME SATISFIED!! He suggests we use adult stem cells, which work much the same way but are much less controversial because they do not destroy embryos.
        That point is well reasoned. Weather or not you believe that Embryos are alive no longer matters. By using alternatives we can leave the controversy by the wayside and progress to our lunches.
By: Anti Väinämöinen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.