This article is about the ever-confounding multiverse and the seven dimensions of String Theory.
Hold up, seven dimensions‽
Yeah, I thought there were only three, but the article says that String Theory needs a total of seven dimensions to be plausible. Imagine seeing stuff in 7d, crazy. So, I know next to ABSOLUTE ZERO about String Theory, so for those of you who are just as ignorant as me: it’s the idea that “point particles” are made up of a bunch of microscopic vibrating strings made of… something. The issue with this theory (according to the article) is that A) It requires seven dimensions, four of which are yet unproven and undiscovered and B) The numbers that we need to test the theory a little more thoroughly have to be exact, as in, down to a millionth of a decimal exact. Something like that. I mean, holy crap, that is going to be difficult to work with. Just a fraction of a variation in numbers, and humankind would not exist.
Which leads us neatly into the multiverse.
SO, if our numbers have to be THAT EXACT for us to exist, the chances of those numbers all occurring is something along the lines of infinity-minus-one (I exaggerate, of course), but it is still an absolutely ridiculous number. That leads us to the thought of “well, if it’s an infinity-minus-one chance, then there are either infinite universes or we are pretty freakin’ lucky.”
The multiverse in a nutshell: we have our universe with infinite planets, galaxies, stars, and possibilities; and then we have a universe of universes.
Good god, I can hardly get my head around all of this.
Well, to infinity and beyond!
Please sign your post - I don't know who to give points
ReplyDelete