I really like the word zeitgeist. As referenced in an earlier post of mine, the zeitgeist is the ethical, intellectual, spiritual, and general cultural climate of a group of people during a specific amount of time. That defined, I'm writing this post to address the zeitgeist of this blog, which, through research, I have realized is largely indicative of the zeitgeist of science today. Few people alive remember a time when science was a new and wondrous thing. What would the pioneers of that generation say if they could behold the things we can do now? Indeed, the very things we discuss on this blog? Imagine Isaac Newton beholding the function of a car, and riding in one. Einstein at the large hadron collider. Galileo observing the moon landing. I find it hard to even comprehend the astonishment. For them there would be nothing else, just these impossibilities made possible by science.
So where along the road of progress did we lose the sense of wonder? Where did all the cynicism come from? Perhaps I delude myself, but I think that those same great minds would greet inaccuracy and falsely leading the people with a drive to achieve even more, to obtain proof and present it scientifically, with an unwavering faith in their method and a certain sanguinity. But I digress, and perhaps science back then was just as vicious and primal as it is now. Should that be the case, however, there is a need to reform. We waste our resources and time attacking those who's opinions are unfounded. Why bother? We could be spending the same time and resources making progress for the betterment of mankind; or, in the cases of those who maliciously misinform the public, making the truth clear and easily accessible. We need more scientists with that zeal, that sanguine. So many are cold and unkind, assertive to the point of being vindictive. They have lost the way, self absorbed and self conscious, simply wanting others to think them correct.
And so it is, for the betterment of our culture, that we need a revolution. Our species depends on scientific progress more than is inherently apparent, in every facet of our lives. Fanaticism and false pretenses damn us in the long run, impeding the advancement of our learning. We have so much potential to KNOW! Why waste that? Science should be a kind and wondrous thing, something that all people can get behind, something that is for the people rather than behind their backs. We could be on Mars by now! So let us get back on the path of progress and leave the self righteousness and cynicism behind! Our assertion that we are already all-knowing has left us in the dark, and many discoveries pass us by. The very nature of science appeals to the good nature of humanity, the innocent desire to learn and explore. Perhaps in time we will learn to see this as a benevolent deus ex machina, an advantage to be exploited rather than an undesirable trait. Until then, the least we can do is keep this blog kind and unbiased, and remember to not be a dick.
Hmmm... I think you have an extremely good point. I think the purpose of this blog was to be critical, but not cynical and overly assertive. I'm now rethinking the wording I used in some of my posts.
ReplyDeleteIn any case though, what a beautifully written article. I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you so much! I hope it's insightful. I wonder what would be the reaction of the great scientists of history to our scientific climate today? One can only wonder
Delete